These past few weeks have been really busy and here at the office we thought we could take a break until a client asked us to help him set up his AOL email account on Mac Mail.
Having set email accounts from just about every ISP or service I thought it would be a piece of cake. Ha Ha!
It seems that Mac Mail is the one platform that seems to cause the most trouble. The client, let’s call him John, was starting to get anxiety attacks. I thought this was a bit over the top until I tried to help and then I hit rock bottom. In fact several wasted hours trying to get his Mac Mail to supply him with his AOL emails.
Finally, after going onto his AOL email account I worked it out but it’s not friendly so here goes:
- Go onto AOL Security Settings via webmail
- Login with your screenname and password
- If you are not already on the Account Security page click on it on the left sidebar
- Add a backup email account and Two Step Verification (always a good idea)
- Click on Manage app passwords
- Scroll down until you find Mac Mail and click on it
A window will open “App passwords” and “How to use this app password”
(Don’t try to use this example password, I made it up!)
- If you still have your AOL email account sitting but not working on Mac Mail – Goodie!
- If not you will need to go through the setup account for AOL again
- If it misbehaves and won’t let you setup AOL, pretend it’s Other Mail Account. You still have to add the Incoming and Outgoing servers but at least if it bombs out your password again it won’t matter. You will still have the AOL account not working but listed
- Close down Mac Mail
- Click on your Apple icon, top left, and go to System Preferences
- Go to Internet Accounts and select your AOL account
- Click Details
- Remember that app window that you opened on AOL? Copy and paste the APP PASSWORD into the password field
- Close System Preferences and Open Mac Mail
- You may have to insert this app password one more time if Mac Mail asks you, but it should work
- Good luck!